Integrating Off-The-Shelf Software Solutions
AssistKD's Integrating Off-the-Shelf Software Solutions course is aimed at solutions architects, solution developers and business analysts wishing to gain a deeper understanding of the off-the-shelf approach to procuring and delivering solutions to meet business needs. The course provides an auditable approach to software package evaluation and selection using weighted matrices using appropriate modelling techniques from the Unified Modeling Language (UML).
Integration of a chosen off-the-shelf solution is critical to the success of the COTS (Commercial Off-The-Shelf) approach. Integration is considered from both a business and technical perspective: integration with business strategy and existing business processes and integration with existing software applications and data. Key areas of the course include:
- Framework for COTS selection
- Roles and responsibilities of stakeholders
- Understanding the requirements for an off-the-shelf solution
- Integration of a COTS solution with business strategy and IT strategy
- The procurement process
- The IT architectural requirements (application, component and data integration)
- ETL (Extract Transform and Load) tools
- Deploying the solution
- Evaluating and comparing competing packages
Further details of the course content can be found by clicking here
Assessment and accreditation
This course prepares participants for the BCS Integrating off-the-shelf Software Solutions examination, which is held on the final day of the course. The examination is open-book and lasts for an hour. This certificate contributes to the BCS International Diploma in Solution Development
, as shown below:
Course structure and timings
The course takes place over 3 days. Refreshments and lunch are provided free of charge to participants.
Day 1 - 09:30 start / 17:00 finish
- COTS solutions: strategic issues
- Framework for COTS selection and use of selection matrices
- Roles and responsibilities
Day 2 - 09:00 start / 17:00 finish
- The role of requirements
- Categories of requirements
- Modelling the functional requirements
- Requests for proposal
- Evaluating and comparing packages
Day 3 - 09:00 start / 17:00 finish
- Procuring the selected solution
- Component, system and data integration
Course director and trainers
||The Integrating off-the-shelf Software Solutions training course is delivered by trainers who bring their substantial experience to the programme. Pete Thompson is the course director.
Click on the picture to find out more about Pete.
A comprehensive course manual is provided. The course may be tailored to reflect the circumstances and requirements of a specific customer.