The Certificate for Test Analysts is based on the ISTQB Advanced level syllabus. It extends the knowledge gained in the BCS/ISTQB Foundation Certificate in Software Testing and is one of three certificated courses in the overall advanced scheme.
The advanced test analyst course is suitable for those actively involved in the analysis, specification, design and execution aspects of software testing.
This three day, tutor-led course uses a mixture of slide presentations, lectures and practical exercises. The examination is normally scheduled to take place approximately one to two weeks after the course.
Online preparation for the examination is also provided.
Taking the BCS/ISTQB Foundation Certificate in Software Testing as its basis, the certificate and course build directly on key aspects of test analysis. Its objectives are to:
- prepare candidates for the examination for the Advanced Certificate for Test Analysts
- extend understanding of software test analysis - its practical application and key components
- enhance awareness of issues and constraints around software test analysis.
The advanced level qualification for test analysts is aimed at all testing professionals who hold the BCS/ISTQB Foundation Certificate in Software Testing and who wish to gain greater knowledge and recognition of test analysis and its application.
The course is for anyone involved in software testing who will or wishes to become involved in software test analysis now or in the future, either directly or indirectly, including:
- test analysts
- test engineers
- test consultants
- test managers
- user acceptance testers
- software developers
Candidates for the examination are required to hold the BCS/ISTQB Foundation Certificate in Software Testing. In addition, it is strongly recommended by the syllabus board that candidates also have at least 18 months’ experience in Software Testing and take an accredited course before sitting the exam.
Over the 3 days the course will cover:
- Introduction to syllabus
- Basic aspects of software testing
- Testing processes
- Test management
- Test techniques
- Test of software characteristics
- Incident management
- Test tools and automation
- People skills and team composition
Yes. This course prepares participants to sit the two-hour, multiple-choice examination leading to the Advanced Level certificate in test analysis offered by the International Software Testing Qualifications Board (ISTQB).
Course includes on-line exam preparation.
Examination takes place around a week after the course.
A comprehensive course manual is provided and the course can be tailored to reflect the emphasis required by the customer.
ISTQB Advanced Certificate for Test Analysts (a three-day course)
Introduction to syllabus
- General introduction and objectives
- Review of the ISTQB Foundation Syllabus
Basic aspects of software testing
- General refresher and overview
- Test analysis and design
- Test implementation and execution
- Evaluating exit criteria and reporting
- Risk-based testing
- Activities for planning and execution of domain testing.
- Selection of techniques
- Typical defects and coverage criteria
- Designing test cases
- Test specification
- Rationale for defect-based and experience-based testing
- Example defect taxonomies and their use
- Exploratory testing
Test of software characteristics
- Quality attributes for domain testing
- Quality attributes for technical testing
- Review checklists
- Review types
- Describe defects.
Test tools and automation
- Test tool concepts
- Test tool categories
People skills and team composition
©Assist Knowledge Development Ltd.