The certification is aimed at professionals who are working within a tool supported software testing environment. It is also for professionals who are planning to start working within a tool supported software testing environment in the future, or are working within companies that plan to do so.
The ISTQB Advanced Test Automation Engineer Certificate Course is a three-day course explaining the tasks of a test automation engineer (AE) in designing, developing, and maintaining test automation solutions.
The course includes exercises and practice exams to highlight key aspects of the syllabus and to help participants understand and practice the concepts and methods presented.
Provides participants with the knowledge and skills necessary to guide a test automation project. The course focuses on the concepts, methods, tools, and processes for automating dynamic functional tests and the relationship of those tests to test management, configuration management, defect management, software development processes and quality assurance.
Methods described are generally applicable across variety of software lifecycle approaches (e.g., agile, sequential, incremental, iterative), types of software systems (e.g., embedded, distributed, mobile) and test types (functional and non-functional testing).
The Advanced Level Test Automation Engineer exam comprises 40 multiple choice questions, with a pass mark grade of 65% to be completed within 90 minutes. Participants that take the exam not in their spoken language, will receive additional 25% more time (an additional 23 minutes) so a total of 113 minutes.
A comprehensive course manual is provided.
ISTQB Advanced Test Automation Engineer (a three-day course)
Introduction and Objectives for Test Automation - 30 mins.
- Purpose of Test Automation
- Success Factors in Test Automation
Preparing for Test Automation - 165 mins.
- SUT Factors Influencing Test Automation
- Tool Evaluation and Selection
- Design for Testability and Automation
The Generic Test Automation Architecture - 270 mins.
- Introduction to gTAA
- TAA Design
- TAS Development
Deployment Risks and Contingencies - 150 mins.
- Selection of Test Automation Approach and Planning of Deployment/Rollout
- Risk Assessment and Mitigation Strategies
- Test Automation Maintenance
Test Automation Reporting and Metrics - 165 mins.
- Selection of TAS Metrics
- Implementation of Measurement
- Logging of the TAS and the SUT
- Test Automation Reporting
Transitioning Manual Testing to an Automated Environment - 120 mins.
- Criteria for Automation
- Identify Steps Needed to Implement Automation within Regression Testing
- Factors to Consider when Implementing Automation within New Feature Testing
- Factors to Consider when Implementing Automation of Confirmation Testing
Verifying the TAS - 120 mins.
- Verifying Automated Test Environment Components
- Verifying the Automated Test Suite
Continuous Improvement - 150 mins.
- Options for Improving Test Automation
- Planning the Implementation of Test Automation Improvement