This workshop demonstrates how the goals of business process modelling can be met through the effective use of the BPMN standard's syntax, BPMN 2.0. This syntax supports practical, proven techniques in a manner that helps business analysts and stakeholders to model specific, unambiguous processes. It is growing in popularity with organisations who struggle to get value from modelling with generic business process syntax and tools.
Theory is applied with realistic examples and paper exercises throughout. This will give you the opportunity to test out using BPMN in a practical and stimulating way. It is an ideal extension for anyone who has studied the BCS Modelling Business Processes module who wants to learn the BPMN 2.0 syntax.
Please note: While the syntax covered allows the business to distinguish which parts of the process will be performed using IT and which will be manual, the level of BPMN used on this workshop stops short of any technical syntax required to drive process automation tools.
To give you more of an idea of what you’ll learn and how the course will help you, here’s a quick guide to the day.
Introduction to Business Process Modelling
- Developments in Business Process Change
- How we think about business process design
- What are the features of a business process?
- Process levels and performance needs (Rummler & Brache)
- Redesigning Business Processes
- Redesign patterns
- Workflow systems
BPMN 2.0 Models and notation for basic business modelling
- What is BPMN 2.0?
- BPMN notation levels and tool support
- Process and collaboration models
- BPMN notation
- Collaboration Pools, participants and processes
- Activities, tasks, sub-processes and sequence flows
- Modelling end to end processes to task level
- Instances and Token simulations
- Specific Start, end and intermediate event types
- Swim lanes and indicating where automation fits
- Using BPMN 2.0 to assist with process management and improvement
- Mapping BPMN 2.0 to other common modelling techniques such as Business and System Use Cases
- Benefits of adopting BPMN tools
You’ll also be given a comprehensive course manual, containing additional information and guidance on further reading.