This Design Thinking course is for anyone who wants to look at business challenges from a creative, customer-centric perspective. In particular: Business Analysts; Business Service Designers; User Researchers; Project Leaders; Product Owners; Business Change Managers and anyone involved in transformational change projects.
Design Thinking is a creative and human centred approach to business innovation. It’s about applying the design mindset to business challenges, making sure solutions are customer-centric and focused on meeting the needs of all stakeholders.
The AssistKD Design Thinking course covers the underlying principles of Design Thinking, bringing the strategies and techniques to life by applying them to a range of real life scenarios. Delegates learn how to empathise with and engage with the customer, unlock key insights, question assumptions, explore strategies and test ideas.
- Introduction to Design Thinking
- Fundamental Design Thinking Practices
- Design Thinking Approaches
- Design Thinking Techniques
- Discover stage
- Define stage
- Develop stage
- Deliver stage
- Design Thinking Techniques
- Generic techniques
- Implementing Design Thinking
- The Design Thinking course manual is a clear, comprehensive, step-by-step guide through every stage of the course.
- Delegates find the printed manual useful for reference and for taking notes.
- If you’re attending a virtual course, you will be sent a hard copy by post beforehand.
- An electronic version of the manual is provided as standard.
Design Thinking (a three-day course)
Introduction to Design Thinking
- The nature and characteristics of Design Thinking.
- The rationale for Design Thinking.
- The six core elements of the Design Thinking mindset.
Fundamental Design Thinking Practices
- Examine the core design thinking practices, including: Empathy and perspective analysis; Research and investigation; Divergent and convergent thinking; Experimentation and prototyping; Visualisation; Validation; Assumption identification and testing and Iteration and continuous learning.
Design Thinking Approaches
- The Design Council approach. Includes the Design Council 3H and the structure and stages of the Double Diamond.
- The d.School 5 stage approach (Stanford).
- The design thinking Macro and Micro processes for the problem space and for the solutions space.
Design Thinking Techniques
- The structure and application of core Design Thinking techniques using within the stages of the Double Diamond.
- Discover: Service safari; Empathy map.
- Define: Customer journey map; Problem framing.
- Develop: Service blueprint; Assumption reversal.
- Deliver: High and low fidelity prototyping; Feedback capture grid; A/B testing.
- Generic Design Thinking techniques: Brainstorming and brainwriting; Focus groups; User role and persona analysis and Storyboarding.
Implementing Design Thinking
- Organisational culture and Design Thinking.
- The elements of the Culture Pyramid.
- The cultural aspects that may inhibit or enable the use of Design Thinking.
- The use of POPIT™ to support the implementation of Design Thinking.